Tuesday, August 5, 2008

9 weeks 2 days part two

Heard from the OB at 9pm. *sigh* No definitive answer...STILL!

My hCG (pregnancy hormone) levels are still fairly high - in the 20,000's of units which according to this site could put me anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks pregnant:
  • 6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
  • 7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
  • 9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
So, the "problem" is this...I've stopped spotting. And, the OB panel taken last week did not take what's called a quantitative hCG. It only checked that I had enough to be considered pregnant but not the exact amount.

Sooo...in I go tomorrow for another hCG blood test to compare with yesterday's counts. According to this source, in about 85% of normal pregnancies the hCG level will double every 48 - 72 hours. So, my counts tomorrow should be around 50,000 units.

Sooooo...if this first test was any indication, I probably won't know until Friday. *eyes rolling*

5 comments:

sara said...

Beth, I know that every case is different and I hate to give you false hope but, I bled on and off with both of my pregnancies until about 12 weeks and both of them were fine. Some of that bleeding was fairly heavy and fairly bright. I know that your history is different though...

I'm still praying.

Anonymous said...

Offering lots of (((HUGS))) and prayers. I, too, know of many women who have bled during the early part of pregnancy and went on to have healthy babies. I hope this is the case for you as well. Let me know if you need anything. ~ Melanie

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Thanks ladies - I've spotted with every pregnancy...just never this much, this on and off, nor for this long. I'm just frustrated to find out what's going on.

Anonymous said...

Still *praying*! I went through the numbers thing with my oldest, and though I never had the issues with bleeding I did have a friend who bled quite heavily through her *entire* nine months. Except for a stressed mama, everything went fine and a rambunctious little boy was born. But none of this really matters to *you*, now does it. So I'll just keep praying!

love, Kari

Christina said...

Oh Beth, I was really hoping this was not the reason for your "distraction". It just now occured to me to check this blog to see if you had any updates.

I'm sorry you're going through this uncertainty. I've been there with both pregnancies. The first did not end well. The second resulted in Emily. I was certain it was over when I started bleeding with Emily, but God had other plans...

All this to say, hang in there, know that you are being covered in prayers and that God will continue to hold you close no matter what.

Hugs,
Christina